Thursday, October 3, 2013

Finishing up loose ends...

After making the flying Geese quilt in the previous post I decided to see how many small or Doll quilts I had.  I found a Pink ad Green Basket quilt I made about 4 years ago, There was a tiny twister quilt I completed at the Shop Hop last year, and an Amish 9-patch that I picked up at the Guild auction about a year ago. But the yellow/green basket had the backing and batting ready. In the box where I found this little quilt was a Borders quilt. Actually the borders quilt took up 2 plastic boxes. So if I finished the quilt I would have 2 empty boxes. It was close to completion and it still lacked a few borders. But after opening the boxes and examining what exactly needed to happen next I knew why it sat so long. The black floral was printed 40" , there were spaces between the motifs but it was still a challenge to make it fit in a pleasing manner. So I laid out the quilt and after letting it sit on the floor for over 2 days my daughter finally helped me to decide the final color placement. She is so good no wonder she loves to work with Cosmetics. Here is a corner of the quilt. After It is quilted I hope to post a photo of the completed quilt.


Over 3 weekends I completed the top. Now how to quilt this? Hmmm, I'll probably do some doodles and then decide. 
I decided to quilt the little baskets. I found a pink and green thread to quilt with. I did not want the
green to show on the pink areas. Nor did I want the pink to show on the back. I decided to ditch quilt
around the blocks and the baskets. Then I went through my templates and found a leaf shape. I did not
want to mark on this quilt so I traced the leaf shape onto freezer paper. I used this shape in the alternate blocks and the border.




Here is the back

































No comments:

Post a Comment