Friday, July 1, 2016

Exploring my Creative Childhood

My mind, this month has been filled with ideas that I want to use for the Sew Along with Lori  DeJarnatt. The theme this month is "Something from your Child hood".
I was lucky to live next door to a couple of girls  Sarena and Mallie. With them I could  imagine and create things from simple things. I remember seeing a dress on one of their dolls that was not bought from the store. It had uneven stitches but the girls made it by THEMSELVES. I wanted to learn how so very much I was about 5.. I was curious about scissors too. I even discovered I could cut my own hair.



  I even had a doll that I could make her hair grow. Crissy doll, she had huge hands and feet I remember holding her on my hip like a real baby.


I don't remember if I was allowed to use a needle. But I was very fascinated. I played with Barbies and made furniture and accessories from things the family would throw out.  So I added some Barbie Fabric. I drafted the Paper Pieced scissor block and primitively wrote cut.




My parents realized early that the toys I would play with the most were creative ones, not premade ones. I discovered after his death that My Father kept the crayons I had in Kindergarten. I remember him arguing with  the Teacher that he did not want to limit my creativity with just 8 colors. So my crayon box had 64.


As a child of the 70's I remember tie-die clothes and  psycadelic prints, peace and love. I had some of these prints in my stash and added it to the border.


I also remember collecting frogs after the rain. Where we lived the tiny frogs would come out of their hiding spots.I would carry a bucket to collect them to see how many I could get. My record was 20.



My Dad also shared his love of Ladybugs with me, so I added a piece of fabric with ladybugs.
To signify my love of fabric from an early age I decided to design the square in
a square block.Then I designed the scissor Paper pieced block and the needle and thread block.


My friend Lisa from Preschool taught me the Cat's cradle string game and we played it often. It was a great game that did not take up any room to carry a string. I found this as a drawing on Pinterest and then created the Embroidery.



The most fascinating thing that has happened is that after 40 years,  I have finally been able to reconnect with both sets of childhood friends. What a treasure they are and the Memories too.
Here is the completed "Memories" Border

Until next time,

Tanya


20 comments:

  1. Your crayons?!? How precious is that? I love how you chose to interpret the theme. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I wanted to add other things like a little dress and pieced shoes. But I thought simpler was better. Thanks for the inspiration.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful border & memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, I think a lot of us cut our own bangs at one point! Something about your dad saving your kindergarten crayons is so moving. Anyway, what a sweet and thoughtful childhood border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Granny was a hairdresser and I think she hoped I would follow in her footsteps somehow. The crayons I can't seem to throw out either. Thanks for your sweet words.

      Delete
  4. Very funny and girly : I love your basket ;-)
    Véronique

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your childhood border! Very creative! Must have been those 64 crayons. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was lots of fun. I drafted several other blocks too but I decided to keep it a little simpler.

      Delete
  6. Lovely centre and border and great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tanya, your center and border are fabulous! I love the print background for your basket and I like all the details of your childhood that are included in the border. Your block is just wonderful!
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so kind, thanks so much. It was lots of fun digging through my stash. I'll post the selvage to the Humble Quilts Facebook group. It is a current fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post. It has been great to hear all the stories that went with round two.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, the Cat's Cradle. I used to like playing with string and doing that when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your block! And what great memories you have represented in your first border! Isn't this a fun project?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun memories, and you did a great job of depicting them. I think it's really cool that your dad kept your kindergarten crayons! What a guy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great border and I love your memory stories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, an adorable childhood story. The quilt is looking so pretty.

    ReplyDelete